TXI is looking for a Business Development Manager who can become a strategic advisor to our clients.
A Business Development Manager (BDM) at TXI is a role that requires a deep understanding of the software development industry and a highly consultative sales process. As the first person to take on this role at TXI, you'll have a remarkable opportunity to create a lasting impact. Your contributions will shape the direction and success of the business development function within TXI.
You'll enjoy the autonomy of establishing a function and defining its objectives, strategies, and best practices. Your decisions will carry significant weight, and you'll bear responsibility for its success. While you're blazing this trail, you won't be alone. You'll collaborate closely with a supportive leadership team that shares your passion for ideas and growth.
Due to the nature of the role, preferred candidates are based in or around the Chicagoland area.
Don’t hesitate to apply if you don’t meet the requirements below. If you’re an enthusiastic, high-aptitude individual with solid business development experience and are based in/around the Chicagoland area, we want to hear from you!
What we expect from you
- Build relationships and maintain connection in the community with executives and potential clients. Become a trusted advisor to senior decision makers at target prospect businesses and leverage those relationships to uncover new opportunities for our teams to deliver.
- Be highly consultative in how you find opportunities and build proposals. Turn curiosity into opportunities by asking strategic questions and opening doors to new conversations. Strategically reframe problems to create moments of clarity within the context of the business opportunity and constraints. Leverage design thinking and facilitation skills to successfully challenge and push client teams to think differently about what’s possible, and to harness insights from within and build conviction around a vision and solution. Take calculated risks and bring new thinking and approaches to the table.
- Listen and be needs-focused in your solution design and proposals. Read prospects with remarkable accuracy and adapt your approach as needed. Listen for what isn’t being said to see opportunities and issues where others don’t. Lead with needs (vs. solutions), and be adept at guiding and potentially participating in research activities to generate new insights. Focus on outcomes and establishing ways to measure success and the impact on the business.
- Be informed about and have a relevant POV on what it means to build custom software. Stay current with industry trends; the BDM must keep up to date with the latest trends in custom software development, market demand, and client needs to ensure TXI's services remain relevant and competitive. Possess a practitioner’s point of view and depth of knowledge based on successes and failures in bringing new digital products to life across different industries.
- Collaborate with the Chief Commercial Officer to identify target companies using TXI’s BI tools, manage CRM data, and develop personalized content for decision-makers.
- Build a robust pipeline by supporting TXI’s ABM efforts and other top-of-funnel prospective leads.
- Demonstrate strong consultative and value-based selling skills. Experience selling digital products is a plus.
- Craft personalized content to engage with prospects at the account level.
- Engage prospects through various channels, build relationships with key decision-makers, and participate in industry events.
- Demonstrate strong consultative and value-based selling skills; experience selling digital products are a plus.
- Measure and optimize efforts with our Demand Team, contribute to proposal development, and act as a digital product innovation expert.
- Coach and mentor the team on business development strategies and process improvement.
Who You Are
- A proven track record of meeting or exceeding sales targets for at least 8 years, generating and managing a sales pipeline, from lead generation to lead qualification.
- Experience selling professional services for the custom software industry (SAAS); and defining, launching and evolving digital products.
- Strong business and technical acumen with the ability to converse fluently about digital products in the larger context of the business and market.
- A strategic, pragmatic thinker with a grounded approach to problem-solving and innovation.
- A thoughtful, compelling communicator and influencer in both writing and speaking.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Willingness to travel as needed to meet with prospects and attend industry events.
- Preferred candidates are based in or around the Chicagoland area.
Who We Are
We’re a curious and humble group of people who are very intentional about personal growth and supporting one another’s careers. We’re always looking for new skills, frameworks, and approaches to deliver the most meaningful product experiences. And we’re constantly pushing ourselves to experiment, explore, and challenge assumptions.
We bring that same passion for learning and growth to our clients: digging into their organizations, reframing their problem statements, and spending time with their users. This ensures we’re pushing our clients forward while developing and delivering valuable products that matter.
Learn more about TXI (video)
What success looks like at TXI
Proper expectations-setting has a big impact on your progressional growth. So that you have a clear idea of what you'll experience as a Business Development Manager, here is some of what you can expect within your first two years:
Within 1 month, you will
// Start the company onboarding process, learning more about our company’s culture, values, history, and commitments to our clients
// Gain an understanding of our integrated development process, tooling and frameworks, and project approach. Get up to speed on the TXI's service offerings and capabilities
// Shadow client engagements to learn from our integrated teams of designers, developers, and delivery managers. Meet with team members to learn more about their roles and responsibilities
// Learn more about the client experience, from product discovery through delivery
// Go deeper into the employee experience of working at TXI, meeting with key leaders across the company and to build relationships with the broader team
// Learn about our company’s history and portfolio to understand the differentiating value we provide and the various client stories we have in particular verticals
// Optimize your LinkedIn profile to highlight the work we do and services we provide
// Begin building relationships with prospects via LinkedIn by following and commenting on their posts and engagements. Begin connecting with prospects, and request introductory meetings based on their intent data and pain points.
// Attend relevant company and industry events to network and expand your knowledge, and become embedded within the Chicago tech community
// Familiarize yourself with the tools that we use to facilitate our demand engine (including CRM and pipeline tools and reports)
Within 3 months, you will
// Complete your onboarding process with your onboarding cohort.
// Research potential key clients using intent data and identify new business opportunities and prospects.
// Have a deep understanding of our differentiating value proposition, our portfolio and service offerings, and our Go To Market strategy.
// Collaborate with the team to develop marketing and sales strategies to attract new clients.
// Shadow other members of our team to develop custom software solutions to meet client needs and become more familiar with TXI’s approach.
// Engage with your first prospect, learning more about their business, unique challenges, and growth opportunities.
// Build proposals and present them to new prospective clients to win new business.
// Continue to build the company's reputation in the industry through networking and thought leadership.
//Complete your first Sticky Note Game, mapping out goals for your introduction to the company
//Attend your first TXI Quarterly with the rest of the organization.
Within 6 months, you will
// Complete a review with your manager, the Chief Commercial Officer.
// Identify areas and provide feedback where the team can improve our offerings or processes to better serve clients.
// Bring in a new relationship to the TXI portfolio and guide them through the qualification and proposal process.
Within 1 year, you will
//Attend a company retreat to get to know all of the employees outside of the office setting.
// Attend your first ESOP share party as an employee-owner and celebrate the value we're building together.
// Share feedback and ideas with the broader Demand team to drive continuous improvement in our service offerings, new capabilities, and processes.
After 2 years, you will
//Look back proudly at the project and organizational changes you’ve inspired or directed, and the impact you’ve created on how we do business.
Some reasons you might like working with us
We have been recognized for both our internal employee experience and delivering a trusted customer experience. At TXI, we are very intentional about the way we work and support both our team and our clients.
1. We focus on Product Innovation by helping initially to envision new product concepts for our clients. We are core contributors to shaping the work that we do and the problems we're working to solve. In addition to that ideation stage, we get to help them bring these new concepts to market. We help both to build the right thing (design thinking and product discovery) and build the thing right (agile mindset and iterative approach).
2. We care about DEIB (diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging). To deliver the best solutions, we need as many bright and diverse minds in the room as possible, and we need to be able to learn from them once they’re there. That’s why we’re working to create an environment that’s comfortable and inclusive for everyone. Learn more about our DEIB learnings, roadmap, and history (https://txidigital.com/deib)
3. We work in a variety of industries, encouraging our team members to explore new domains, solve different kinds of problems, and adopt new technologies. There is no getting bored in our portfolio; you’ll work across digital health, industry 4.0, edtech, and nonprofits, just to name a few, and building web, mobile, and IOT solutions.
4. We work in integrated teams. At TXI, we seek to bring all of the good ideas to the table so you learn from the talented teammates you regularly pair with. Product, design, and development regularly collaborate, and we are all listening to the same users.
5. We are intentional about supporting each individual's growth. "Challenge and support each other" is a core value of the company and we take that mission seriously. That's why every employee has a personal learning and development budget, everyone has a bi-weekly conversation with their manager about their progress, and our CEO created the Sticky Note Game to encourage each person's path at TXI.
6. We value transparency and open discussion. You will have a front-line view of the company's performance, risks and issues, finances and budgets. With unique tools and facilitation techniques, we also regularly connect and discuss topics as a company to guide our path forward.
7. We build products that matter. We advance the causes and goals of our partners and consistently deliver outcomes for them. See some examples below.
What we make
For over two decades, we've partnered with clients across industries to research, design, and develop award winning custom web and mobile applications that make a meaningful impact. These impacts include:
<>Transformed a data logger company to a global leader in tech-based environmental monitoring, driving the US industrial sector into Industry 4.0.
<>Empowering healthcare providers with powerful digital products to enhance the quality of patient care, streamline administrative tasks, and improve overall healthcare outcomes
<>Driving accountability and motivation for patients recovering from spinal surgery through integrated mobile app and wearable device on the patient’s lower back
<>Improving prediction of patient enrollment in global clinical trials for life-saving drugs through the integration of advanced analytics and digital innovation
<>Designing a digital experience to support LGBTQ+ 14-17-year-old youths who are facing societal and personal challenges prior to coming out, driven by evidence-based treatment and therapy plans
But the work is just part of what makes TXI a rewarding place to be. We support one another’s interests—whether volunteering, organizing meetups, speaking at industry events, or learning new techniques and technologies. If there's something you're passionate about, we want you to pursue it so you can teach it to the rest of us. Our company Lunch & Learns, Sticky Note Game, and regular practice meetings are just some of the ways we create space for sharing, learning, and professional development.
What we offer
We believe in equitable pay. The compensation for this role will be a base salary plus variable compensation that realistically ranges between $175k - 210k OTE in the first year, depending on performance.
In addition to compensation, we offer the following benefits, intended to take care of you (and the people you care about):
- Discretionary (open) paid time off
- Quality health insurance and medical travel benefit
- Paid parental leave policy (equal for all TXI parents)- 401k plan, including employer matching
- The option to work remotely outside of prospecting events
- Company retreats and Quarterly days, both of which are a chance to connect with each other in person and outside of the office
- Benefits for continuing education, donation matching, home office improvements, and renewable energy switching
- Employee Stock Ownership Program: TXI is 100% employee-owned through an ESOP, which grants shares of company stock to all employees as a retirement benefit
We have a remote-first environment at TXI–with distributed team members in the US, Canada, and Europe who are working from home. We communicate and collaborate effectively in a remote environment with tools like Miro, Notion, Slack, and Zoom. We also prioritize virtual bonding and values such as inclusivity, autonomy and trust while ensuring we take steps to foster positive interactions between employees.
While we encourage asynchronous communication, we often work in pairs or in collaboration sessions, so it is important to have some core hours of overlap with our clients and fellow team members. Regardless of where you are living and working, we will get together in person and as a company several times a year to help build connections and foster relationships within our team.
What to expect next
If we move forward, here's what the interview process will look like:
Initial Interview: After connecting with our recruiting team, you’ll meet the hiring lead over Zoom and cover some TXI basics. We’ll focus on your past work and how it relates to what you’ll be doing at TXI. This stage is a 2-call process and should take no more than 90 min total (unless you want to dig in, chat more, and spend some extra time learning about us!).
Virtual Case Study: Here is where we give you a job preview for the role, as well as the opportunity to show off your skills. Our goal is to get a sense of how you approach client work, how you collaborate with a team, and how you solve problems. This stage should take no more than 90 minutes total, and by the end we'll both have a clear sense of how we work together.
Final All-Team interview: At this stage we're incredibly excited about your potential to join TXI. You'll meet with 6 to 8 of your potential team members over a 3.5-hour session, where we will learn more about your leadership skills, stakeholder management skills, and values alignment. You will also spend time with members of our leadership team to talk about how TXI can support you on your journey.
Offer/Decision within 24-48 hours: You’ve made it! You successfully completed the process and spent time learning about us while sharing more about yourself. Once we get to this stage, we like to move fast. We are committed to debriefing within 24 hours and presenting a final decision within 48 hours (or less!) of your final interview day. If we choose to move forward, our team will collaborate with you to ensure that you have all the information you need to make the right decision for you and your career!
We take equity seriously
TXI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal opportunity employment without regard to race, religion, color, gender (including gender identity, change of sex, and transgender status), sexual orientation, age, disability, ancestry, national origin, military or veteran status, marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.