Job class: 1042-IS Engineer-Journey
Salary range: $129,064.00 - $162,344.00
Role type: Permanent Exempt What does this mean?
IMPORTANT: Your application MUST include responses to the supplemental questionnaire found here: https://forms.gle/3XWnvhKce8K5xZCKA
Applicants must complete the supplemental questionnaire prior to starting the online application process. The application will not be reviewed without a completed supplemental questionnaire.
Why Work for the Department of Technology (DT)? DT is the centralized technology services provider in the City and County of San Francisco (CCSF). We deliver technology infrastructure and services to approximately 33,000 employees! With an annual operating budget of over $140M and approximately 260 employees, DT provides a host of services that range from Public Safety radio and wiring and Network services to Enterprise Support and the Cloud.
Benefits of Working for CCSF: In addition to challenging and rewarding work, the City provides a generous suite of benefits to its employees.
- Job security, pension, and robust retirement options
- Competitive pay with consistent bi-yearly or yearly increases
- Hybrid Work with a minimum of 20% of time spent in our office in San Francisco, California for all IT related roles
- Generous paid time off, family leave, and more!
- Diverse work environment in a diverse city
- Union protections and representation
- Career development and growth — move between departments, learn on the job, or take subsidized/reimbursed classes!
PEOPLE-CENTERED SOLUTIONS — have a powerful, meaningful effect on the community each day with people at the heart of every solution!
CLOSING THE DIGITAL DIVIDE — bring the benefits of the internet to low-income and marginalized residents!
SHINE A LIGHT ON WHAT MATTERS — join an award-winning production team at SFGovTV to help residents watch legislators or learn more about what makes this City great!
DRIVE INNOVATION — deliver new, cutting-edge technology to residents and city partners to help San Francisco serve its residents!
The Premier Support team at the Department of Technology provides enterprise class services to San Francisco City departments. We are a service-oriented and dynamic group consisting of 8 members with a focus on partnering with our clients to support their missions. Our services include Office 365, communications tool and services, Microsoft System Center/Endpoint Manager, Intune, Azure Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) and more.
We are seeking an experienced systems administrator with a strong background using services such as Azure Virtual Desktop, Microsoft SCCM and Intune to join our team of Support Engineers. This position will be responsible for supporting the Department of Technology’s VDI service, our client departments leveraging Azure VDI, and Endpoint management of both cloud and physical devices. Applicants are preferred to have prior experience working Azure virtual desktop environments, however experience managing other VDI platforms will also be considered.
Additional responsibilities include providing support for the City’s centralized SCCM and Intune platforms to all client departments. This includes all main facets of SCCM and Intune including application management, operating system deployment, updates management (including third party updates) and reporting. Responsibilities will also include maintaining the underlying infrastructure that supports SCCM and Intune. Applicants should have at least a familiarity with all areas of SCCM and Intune, including Co-Management, in addition to deeper knowledge in specific areas.
- Supporting the City’s endpoint VDI infrastructure in Azure
- Onboarding departments to Azure Virtual Desktop
- Providing ongoing support to client departments using VDI
- Developing/deploying tools and scripts to facilitate system maintenance and administration as needed in various management platforms (AVD, SCCM, Intune)
- Supporting SCCM and Intune including infrastructure and cloud configurations
- Onboarding departments to various enterprise endpoint management services
- Providing ongoing support to clients leveraging our various services
- Provide 24-hour on-call support to ensure rapid recovery from software or hardware problems for mission-critical systems and networks.
The Permanent Exempt - Full Time position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive civil service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the appointment officer. The anticipated duration of this project position is thirty-six (36) months and will not result in an eligible list or permanent civil service hiring.
Nature of Work:
Incumbent must be willing to work a 40-hour week as determined by the department. Travel within San Francisco may be required.
Incumbent will conduct the majority of work at the Department of Technology, (1 S Van Ness, Ave San Francisco, CA 94103). However, there may be situations where the incumbent will be required to work at other sites throughout the City of San Francisco as necessary.
This position does not support fully remote work. Employees may be permitted to work a hybrid schedule with supervisor approval, after which they must work at least two days in the office every two weeks.
How to qualify
An associate degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university OR its equivalent in terms of total course credits/units [i.e., at least sixty (60) semester or ninety (90) quarter credits/units with a minimum of twenty (20) semester or thirty (30) quarter credits/units in computer science or a closely-related field].
One (1) year of experience analyzing, installing, configuring, enhancing, and/or maintaining the components of an enterprise network.
Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis (up to a maximum of two (2) years). One (1) year is equivalent to thirty (30) semester units/r forty-five (45) quarter units with a minimum of 10 semester / 15 quarter units in computer science or a closely related field.
- Experience managing Windows server/desktop physical and Virtual environments, Microsoft System Center Config Manager, Intune, Azure Virtual Desktop, third party Azure VDI control planes.
- Any Azure Certifications such as the AZ-900. Other Azure SaaS and PaaS experience also considered.
- Additional desirable skills include an ITIL certification or experience using ServiceNow or project management tools such as Project Online or Microsoft Planner.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
1) Security Clearances & Background Investigations: Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Security Clearance may be required. Positions in this classification may require that successful candidates who become eligible for appointment may be required to go through a background investigation to determine the candidate's suitability for employment in this classification. Factors considered in the investigation may include employment history, use of illegal/controlled substances. Reasons for rejection based on this investigation may include, but not limited to applicable convictions, repeated or serious violations of the law, inability to accept supervision, inability to follow rules and regulations, falsification of application materials and/or other relevant factors. Failure to obtain and maintain security clearance may be basis for termination.
Verification: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point in the application and/or departmental selection process. Written verification (proof) of qualifying experience must verify that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications stated on the announcement. Written verification must be submitted on employer’s official letterhead, specifying name of employee, dates of employment, types of employment (part-time/full-time), job title(s), description of duties performed, and the verification must be signed by the employer. City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which they are appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee’s class will be allowed only if recorded in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Service Commission Rules. Experience claimed in self-employment must be supported by documents verifying income, earnings, business license and experience comparable to the minimum qualifications of the position. Copies of income tax papers or other documents listing occupations and total earnings must be submitted. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
What else should I know?
Compensation: $125,918 - $158,392 (annually) / $60.5375 - $76.1500 (hourly)
How to Apply:
- Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as this recruitment may close at any time, but not before April 24, 2023 at 11:59PM..
- Your application MUST include a resume. To upload, please attach using the "additional attachments" function.
- In additional to submitting your application, you MUST submit this supplemental questionnaire: https://forms.gle/3XWnvhKce8K5xZCKA
You may contact Carol Wong via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding this opportunity.
Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered. Mailed, hand delivered or faxed documents/applications will not be accepted.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.