BlackSky is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. BlackSky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud based -processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of GEOINT and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics. BlackSky provides solutions to commercial and government organizations with relevant programs with the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA), US. Army, and U.S. Air Force Research Labs.
This role will be based out of Seattle, WA and will report to the Principal Communication Systems Manager. As part of the Communications Engineering team, you will be instrumental in engineering, testing, and deployment of our ground station network, which consists of individual ground stations located around the world. These duties include responsibilities that traverse the entire system design, from network connectivity to the Mission Operations Center to the transmission and receipt of RF signals from space and all the systems and hardware in between.
The position is an integral part of our Constellation Engineering and Test teams and is charged with the responsibility of supporting the ground station network from the initial design phase through its operational life. Routine travel is expected to facilitate to support our remote systems throughout their design and operations lifecycle. The ideal candidate has a demonstrated ability to take on broad scope of work, execute tasks efficiently and autonomously, and has a demonstrated ability and willingness to learn and solve new problems.
- Develop and release design documentation to facilitate the engineering of satellite systems and ground station solutions.
- Define and perform tests to quality and accept new site deployments, new hardware and new features.
- Develop and execute test program that will qualify new hardware to meet system requirements and ensure compatibility between space and ground segments.
- Interface with vendors across the globe to facilitate installation of ground stations and the deployment and operational support of hardware
- Support operational team with analysis of ground station and/or communications issues.
- Interface effectively with a multidisciplinary team, including other communications engineers, program management, software developers, IT, and systems engineering.
- Manage competing priorities.
- Other relevant duties assigned.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Minimum of two years technical experience, preferably in a space operations environment.
- Understanding of key communication systems theories and techniques including systems architecture, antennas, signal processing, and/or RF propagation.
- Experience with hands-on testing of RF hardware.
- Ability to develop of design documentation.
- Possess strong team and inter-team cooperation and organization skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a strong understanding of audience.
- Ability to multi-task within a startup, fast paced environment.
- Proven experience as a self starter, that can work independently.
- Experience with antenna installation, testing and maintenance.
- Experience writing software for data analysis and test conduct (python, MATLAB, bash, etc.) and developing test scripts to interface with hardware.
- Linux familiarity.
- Knowledge of satellite systems or RF ground systems.
- Knowledge of RF licensing procedures.
- Ability to balance system level thinking with detailed problem solving.
Life at BlackSky for full-time benefits eligible employees includes:
- Medical, dental, vision, disability, group term life and AD&D, voluntary life and AD&D insurance
- BlackSky pays 100% of employee-only premiums for medical, dental and vision and contributes $100/month for out-of-pocket expenses!
- 15 days of PTO, 11 Company holidays, four Floating Holidays (pro-rated based on hire date), one day of paid volunteerism leave per year, parental leave and more
- 401(k) pre-tax and Roth deferral options with employer match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance and Travel Assistance Programs
- Employer matching donations
- Professional development
- Mac or PC? Your choice!
- Awesome swag
The anticipated salary range for candidates in Seattle, WA is $100,000 to $130,000 per year. The final compensation package offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on specific background and education. BlackSky is a multi-state employer and this pay scale may not reflect salary ranges in other states or locations outside of Seattle, WA.
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
EEO/AAP/ Pay Transparency Statements: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf