Job Description/ Summary
This is an excellent opportunity to join a fast-growth and successful next generation technology consultancy firm, which was recently ranked #2 in the Sunday Times Virgin Atlantic Fast Track 100.
Access to a robust and sophisticated data capability is critical to the next phase of Kubrick’s growth, and building a leading-edge, internal BI platform is the exciting start of that journey. We’re looking for the right person, with rich technical capabilities to contribute to building this internal data product and driving a data-driven culture through the right tools, platforms, and data democratisation. Reporting to the Head of BI, this role will form an important and influential role in the Product Team, helping develop sophisticated platforms that empower the business.
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer to join our growing, internal Data Team; someone to help design, deliver and utilise our exciting future data platform. The ideal candidate will have experience of understanding critical business data, working with, and supporting, database and data warehouse platforms, robust data pipelines, business-centric data models and the importance of empowering the business with accessible, accurate and available data.
This exciting role will be heavily involved in working with the rest of the growing Data Team, understanding platform requirements, the key metrics of the business, and designing and building the BI platform from scratch, utilising modern cloud technologies to democratise powerful, accurate, reliable data throughout the business, to drive effective decision making and a data-driven culture, all supporting Kubrick’s strategy to find and support the next generation of technical talent.
• Reporting to the Head of BI, you will heavily contribute the design, build, delivery, and support of Kubrick’s next, green-field, internal data platform and capability.
• Assume day-to-day responsibility for managing the current data platform, and be heavily involved in devising and implementing an appropriate migration plan from the legacy platform, to the new.
• Work very closely with our Analysts, and ensure their requirements are understood and delivered, in terms of data availability and accessibility, and support their end-user requirements, across varying delivery mechanisms, incl. self-service, direct cube access, and data visualisation and pre-built dashboards.
• Attend daily stand-ups, provide clear updates on progress towards your goals, and collaborate with the wider team to remove blockers and deliver technical excellence against the data roadmap.
• Work directly with stakeholders to understand their data requirements, and pose technically-savvy solutions, aligned with best-practice.
• Build and deliver robust data pipelines that ingest, clean, transform and aggregate data from multiple disparate sources.
• Provide clear data-centric documentation, and strive for wider team engagement and acceptance of data definitions and deliveries.
• Ensure security best-practices are followed, ensuring adherence to relevant data protection laws and regulations (e.g. GDPR), whilst still evangelising democratisation and access to data throughout the business.
• Monitor, support and administer all internal data platforms, respond effectively to incidents and issues, and drive a reliable service for the business
• Be an advocate of a data-first culture, fostering a sense of data-centric community across teams, and drive governance, best-practice, and data empowerment
• Engage with the wider Product Team and collaborate with other experts and contribute to the creation of a long-term technology roadmap, being eager to generate and communicate ideas.
• Provide support to the team in delivering effective investigatory deep-dives, to help drive targeted and effective decision-making
• Solid, hands-on experience of core database technologies, visualisation products and BI and data warehouse platforms, in particular Snowflake
• Understanding of, and experience of working with, multi-dimensional data warehouse platforms, utilising industry-standard design practices (Kimball, Inmon, etc.)
• Strong SQL, DDL and DML skills, ideally with experience of handling JSON objects and arrays
• Strong experience of Python, writing and deploying, and troubleshooting (basics, pandas, numpy), and APIs and Requests
• Good knowledge of ETL frameworks, including data pipelines and ingestion for multiple data providers, in multiple formats
• Principled used of source and version control, and good development practice, including pipelines, repos, CI/CD and gits
• Understanding of the different Slowly Changing Dimension types, and their importance in maintaining data integrity
• Experience of developing data modelling in DBT and a firm understanding of its DAG data lineage provision
• Understanding of the role that a semantic layer plays within the modern BI stack
• Experience of operating in a live environment, responding to requests, incidents, with good troubleshooting skills, focused on platform stability
• A can-do attitude, who is eager to learn and calm under pressure, and keen to take part in a set of transformative, high-value technical projects
• Strong stakeholder management skills, able to understand business requirements in-depth, and make sound decisions on how to implement
• Comfortable working and collaborating with the wider tech team
• Strong communication skills, able to effectively convey inherently technical concepts to wider, technical and non-technical teams and individuals
What Kubrick offers:
• A highly competitive package and a friendly and collaborative working environment
• The opportunity to work flexibly, which we will be happy to discuss with you to understand what arrangements would work best
• The ability to upskill and develop knowledge collaboratively on the latest te