Working as a coder at Hudson River Trading (HRT) means working on a small, highly productive and efficient team. We know you see "Trading" in our name and assume you'll be relegated to some dark corner to code for the "business" but this impression is entirely wrong. At HRT, a fully automated trading firm based in NYC, the code you write *is* our business, so it is everyone's job, top to bottom, to make sure our core dev team has everything they need to do their jobs well.
We are looking for highly skilled programmers who love to code, like being challenged, hate to climb corporate ladders, and don't mind the added bonus of having hard work rewarded through recognition and extremely competitive compensation. At HRT, coders are integral to the success of our trading, and they know it. You can always expect to be challenged by the ever-changing financial markets, and find yourself working on critical software in an extremely fast-paced, real-time environment.
As a Core Developer, you will step into an incredible learning opportunity; HRT's distributed system is on the Pareto frontier of latency and throughput. You'll develop deep knowledge of C++, OS internals, CPU architecture, and networking hardware and protocols. And you will be surrounded by amazing developers who are honing their skills every day. You'll be amazed at what you accomplish.
- You’re one of the top devs in your current organization, as measured by productivity, technical capability, and helpfulness to other devs.
- In your spare time you: code, tinker, read, explore, break things, and have an insatiable curiosity for all things computer related... you'll find like-minded people here.
- You are capable of working independently as well as part of a team
- You can analyze and fix problems quickly
- You can look at code, figure out how it works, and how to make it better
- You can describe software designs at a high level (the abstract interface), low level (step-by-step algorithm), or anywhere in between
- You really like to work with people who challenge you and make you better at what you do
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Superior design, debugging and problem solving skills
- Advanced C++ experience is required, daily use preferred
- Knowledge of UNIX operating systems (we use Linux), system/processor performance, and network communication
Annual base salary range of $175,000 to $250,000. Pay (base and bonus) may vary depending on job-related skills and experience. A sign-on and discretionary performance bonus may be provided as part of the total compensation package, in addition to company-paid medical and/or other benefits.
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we welcome a variety of expertise: mathematics and computer science, physics and engineering, media and tech. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automation in every part of our organization—from trading, to business operations, to recruiting and beyond. We value openness and transparency, and celebrate great ideas from HRT veterans and new hires alike. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues – whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Feel like you belong at HRT? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are we’d love to get to know you.