The Networks team designs, builds and maintains all the communications infrastructure that allows our high-capacity, low-latency trading and data research environments to run 24/7. This network spans over 25 countries and 100 locations. We are looking for a Senior Network Engineer with experience designing and managing large environments to fulfill the high-performance and availability requirements of a premiere algorithmic trading firm operating in global financial markets.
This position requires both project management and deep technical skills. Working together with some of the brightest minds in our industry, you’ll be responsible for everything from product selection and design to routing configuration and troubleshooting. You will work closely with our Systems and Trading Operations teams as well as others at HRT to build, manage, and monitor our low-latency trading network. You’ll have broad responsibilities with freedom to analyze and solve problems, and your solutions will have an immediate impact on our worldwide operations.
We’re looking for someone with a love for technology and an excitement for tackling big picture problems. You will work on a wide variety of projects to enhance the performance and capacity of the global trading and research platforms and contribute to both high-level strategy andt the technical nitty-gritty of our global network architecture.
- BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related IT field
- 5-10 years of relevant experience, preferably in low-latency and high-frequency trading environments.
- In depth understanding of common layer 2 and layer 3 network protocols and best practices; working knowledge of OSPF, BGP, PIM, IGMP
- Experience managing Arista, Cisco, and other common networking devices on a day-to-day basis
- Familiarity with low-latency microwave networks and/or optical transmission systems, such as Adva, Ciena is desirable
- Experience in designing enterprise networks, capacity planning, and full lifecycle project management
- Experience with packet decoding and analysis tools such as tcpdump and Wireshark
- Excellent oral and written communication skills: able to distill complicated issues into clear and concise terms and to create and maintain effective technical documentation
- Experience with Unix/Linux command line utilities and networking stack
- Excellent troubleshooting skills on a wide range of networking issues, including common ethernet LAN problems, multicast market data distribution, and global WAN
- Understanding of basic power consumption and cooling issues in a datacenter environment
- Knowledge of fiber optics technology and cabling standards. Ability to sort through specs and make recommendations on appropriate purchases
- Willingness and ability to solve small technical problems in the field yourself.
- You have excellent collaboration skills and a willingness to admit mistakes.
- Familiarity with firewalls (including Cisco, Palo Alto, Fortinet), VPNs and NAT
- Familiarity with configuration management tools, such as Ansible or Salt is desirable
- Familiarity with Python, Prometheus, Grafana, ELK, GitHub is desirable
- Familiarity with public cloud networks, such as AWS, GCP, Azure, is desirable
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we welcome a variety of expertise: mathematics and computer science, physics and engineering, media and tech. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automation in every part of our organization—from trading, to business operations, to recruiting and beyond. We value openness and transparency, and celebrate great ideas from HRT veterans and new hires alike. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues – whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Feel like you belong at HRT? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are we’d love to get to know you.
Apply for this Job
First Name *