Hudson River Trading (HRT) is seeking a highly skilled Software Engineer to lead projects focused on enhancing our high-performance computing (HPC) storage infrastructure. This role presents an exciting opportunity to work on critical projects that impact all trading teams and significantly improve data storage workflows for performance and reliability.
You will work collaboratively with cross-functional teams and over time, as our efforts scale, you’ll have an opportunity to influence the overall direction of the team which may require growth and leadership. Your primary focus will be on enhancing data replication, optimizing research workflows, and developing APIs to manage concurrency, all while ensuring the seamless operation of our large distributed-compute cluster.
- Utilize C++ (and other languages such as Python) to design, develop, test, and deploy software solutions for HPC storage
- Ensure code quality, maintainability, and scalability in a distributed computing environment
- Develop and implement tooling to simplify, automate, and improve the performance and reliability of replication across data centers, making it more user-friendly and efficient
- Collaborate with researchers to optimize workflows for enhanced performance and ease of use, particularly for filers
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams, providing clear and concise communication of project progress and technical concepts
- Mentor junior team members and foster knowledge sharing within the organization
- Analyze system and processor performance, and optimize network communication within a high-performance computing environment
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field
- Expert-level skills in C++ programming are required, with Python experience being a plus
- Familiarity with storage solutions, protocols, and technologies such as ZFS, NFS, object stores, S3, Google Cloud Storage, Lustre, and databases
- Strong software design, testing, deployment, and monitoring skills in a large distributed compute cluster
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- You’re a top performing developer in your current organization, as measured by productivity, technical capability, and helpfulness to other devs
- In your spare time you: code, tinker, read, explore, break things, and have an insatiable curiosity for all things computer related... you'll find like-minded people here
- You are capable of working independently as well as part of a team
- You can analyze and fix problems quickly
- You can look at code, figure out how it works, and how to make it better
- You can describe software designs at a high level (the abstract interface), low level (step-by-step algorithm), or anywhere in between
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we welcome a variety of expertise: mathematics and computer science, physics and engineering, media and tech. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automation in every part of our organization—from trading, to business operations, to recruiting and beyond. We value openness and transparency, and celebrate great ideas from HRT veterans and new hires alike. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues – whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Feel like you belong at HRT? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are we’d love to get to know you.