Nimble is on a mission to ensure that all students, regardless of background, have access to excellent teachers. We build AI-driven tools to help schools recruit and hire top talent. Our core product is a K-12 recruitment & hiring tool with embedded AI assistance that helps K-12 hiring managers identify the educators most likely to drive student learning and be retained in classrooms. Since launching in 2017, we have grown to serve some of the largest school districts nationwide, helping staff classrooms for millions of students annually.
We strive to promote inclusion and equity, both in our mission and in our day-to-day workplace culture. While we are highly ambitious, we prioritize work-life balance, flexibility and employee retention. We're a distributed team, which means you can work from anywhere on a flexible schedule.
What you'll be doing
- Developing and maintaining secure, scalable, and user-friendly software in React and Django
- Working with various databases and data stores to reliably and quickly manage application data
- Owning the architecture and implementation of complex features, from specification to deployment
- Supporting and mentoring more junior engineers in technical development
- Participating in both technical design reviews and code reviews
- Building out tests and monitoring tools as needed to prevent or quickly catch regressions
- Working in an agile-like environment with sprints, grooming, and stand-ups
- Identifying, researching, and implementing new technologies
- 4+ years software development experience, ideally in our stack (React/Django/Postgres)
- Experience with relational and document-based database where schema and mutations are managed through code, as well as with caching solutions and handling large data sets in a performant way
- Good testing skills: Writing unit and integration tests with test cases that cover probable behavior
- Strong team collaboration and technical leadership skills
- Relevant DevOps experience, including understanding of deployment pipelines as well as performance/scalability best practices
- Willingness to accommodate work / meetings schedule to US Time Zones
- Familiarity with ElasticSearch, and/or other performant data search paradigms
- Strong understanding of statically-typed languages or frameworks (e.g. Typescript)
- Familiarity with ESNext best practices, and functional React with React Hooks
- Experience modeling complex software and feature architectures, either through diagrams or technical design documents
- Understands Contract-first API development, as well as API versioning and managing backwards compatibility.
- Familiarity with configuring and monitoring observability tools, such as Sentry, PaperTrail, DataDog, etc.
A high-impact team striving for outstanding results:
- Equity: We strive to be an inclusive and anti-racist organization. We embody this goal both through our direct mission to help schools conduct rigorous and equitable hiring processes, but also through our daily actions and culture.
- Excellence: We're bringing cutting-edge technology to an under-resourced industry. To give our customers the best, we need to be ruthlessly efficient with our time and work harder and smarter than your average startup.
- Speed: We act deliberately and quickly. While we have high standards, we value results over perfection. We're driven by our mission to ensure all students have access to outstanding teachers. We work toward that mission with urgency.
- Ownership: We're problem solvers who take ownership over outcomes and consistently follow through on commitments. We're solutions-oriented, with minimal hierarchy.
- Communication: As a distributed team, we value consistent and open communication. We offer ideas and welcome debate. We trust each other, ask for help when we need it and give honest feedback.
- Growth: We strive to improve personally and professionally by asking ourselves what we can do better. The goal isn't perfection, but constant improvement.
Startup hustle, with added flexibility:
- Work from anywhere: As long as you put in the work, you can do it from anywhere on a flexible schedule.
- Competitive compensation: It doesn't hurt to get paid well while you're changing the world, right?
- Unlimited vacation & flexible parental leave: We work hard, but work isn't everything.
- Medical, dental, retirement: For US-based teammates, we offer benefits like medical, dental and 401K.
- Annual retreat: Like to travel? We do too. Each year we come together in a fun location to get to know each other better.
If you meet most or all of the above requirements, we want to hear from you! Send a resume or equivalent information and any work you'd like to share to email@example.com.