The Systems Development team builds and maintains the platform of infrastructure and software shared by all Systems teams to provision, monitor, and manage our servers and networks. As a systems software engineer, your main focus will be tool development in Python. You’ll improve and integrate existing tools and libraries across the platform, while designing and building new ones to make our trading, research, installation, and monitoring systems easier to manage and more reliable. Strong Python skills and development experience are required, along with general UNIX experience.
The focus of this role will be on tooling and software aimed at making our multi-vendor network environment easier to manage, deploy, and monitor. We are looking for engineers who like networks, being challenged, and working in a fast-paced environment. Responsibilities are broad, bureaucracy is limited, and opportunities for improvement and impact are vast.
- Build and maintain tools and software features to automate systems engineering workflows around machine provisioning, monitoring, metrics collection, maintenance, network configuration, and more
- Troubleshoot software bugs on a fleet of Linux machines, including application, network,operating system, or kernel issues
- Build and maintain CI/CD pipelines for code testing and deployment
- Build software and data models for network configuration
- Utilize automation tools to mitigate the friction of networks on-call
- BS and/or MS in Computer Science or a related field
- 3+ years of relevant experience, including programming in Python
- You use automation to solve problems and improve processes efficiently — - why do the same task twice manually?
- You’re a team player but also work well independently
- You’re a seasoned multitasker, with the ability to juggle multiple projects while maintaining a high level of attention to detail
- You’re familiar with working with open-source software, and interested in learning about networking fundamentals
- Strong Python programming skills
- Ability to debug and analyze problems quickly
- Ability to learn at a fast pace and apply new skills effectively
- Strong grasp of computer science fundamentals and software design patterns
- Solid understanding of Linux/UNIX operating systems
Annual base salary range of $150,000 to $250,000. Pay (base and bonus) may vary depending on job-related skills and experience. A sign-on and discretionary performance bonus may be provided as part of the total compensation package, in addition to company-paid medical and/or other benefits.
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we welcome a variety of expertise: mathematics and computer science, physics and engineering, media and tech. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automation in every part of our organization—from trading, to business operations, to recruiting and beyond. We value openness and transparency, and celebrate great ideas from HRT veterans and new hires alike. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues – whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Feel like you belong at HRT? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are we’d love to get to know you.